Chime works with a range of retailers that allows you to reload your card when you need it.
Learn where to load your Chime card and how to do it with this guide.
Where Can I Load My Chime Card?
You can load your card by visiting Chime’s cash deposit partners all over the world. These include Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Speedway, and 7-Eleven. You may also transfer funds from an external bank account via Chime’s “Move Money” feature, but this works with major banks only.
There are several methods of loading money onto a Chime card, including direct deposit, partnering retailers, linking the Chime card to a bank account, or using the Chime mobile app. To locate the nearest cash deposit location, Chime cardholders can use the Chime app, which offers access to more than 75,000 retail outlets. The process of adding cash at different retailers like Walmart or CVS is quite similar to that of Walgreens.
When loading money onto a Chime card at retail locations, it is essential to find the Discover, MasterCard, or Visa logo at the cash register. Provide the cashier with your debit card, the cash amount you wish to deposit, and the necessary reload fee to complete the transaction.
Another option for loading money onto a Chime card is through a bank transfer. This can be accomplished by following these steps:
- Open the Chime app
- Select the ‘Move Money' option
- Choose ‘Transfers'
- Login using your bank credentials
- Input the dollar amount you'd like to transfer
By offering various loading methods, including retail locations and bank transfers, Chime aims to provide cardholders with accessible and convenient options to manage their finances.
How To Load Your Chime Card: (Step-By-Step)
There are multiple ways to load money onto your Chime card, which makes it a convenient option for managing your finances. Below are the step-by-step procedures for different methods of loading your Chime card.
Direct deposit is perhaps the easiest way to load money onto your Chime card. To set up a direct deposit, follow these steps:
- Provide your Chime card number and routing number to your employer or the institution sending you money.
- Wait for the deposit to be processed, which can usually take a few business days.
You can also load your Chime card by transferring money from an existing bank account. Here's how:
- Open the Chime mobile app and log in to your account.
- Go to “Move Money” and select “Transfers.”
- Enter the username and password for your external bank account.
- Input the amount you'd like to transfer and complete the transaction.
Keep in mind that there is a limit of $25,000 per month and $10,000 per day for this type of transfer.
If you prefer to deposit cash, you can do so at several participating retail locations. The steps to load cash onto your Chime card are as follows:
- Locate a Green Dot® Network retailer near you (such as Walmart, Walgreens, or 7-Eleven).
- Head to the register and request to load money onto your Chime card, providing the cashier with your card and the cash amount desired.
- Pay the retailer's transaction fee, if applicable, and wait for the funds to be added to your account.
It's important to note that cash deposit transactions may be subject to fees, and limits may vary depending on the retailer.
How Much Does It Cost To Load Your Chime Card?
Loading your Chime Card at popular retailers such as Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, or CVS can come with fees that vary by location. Typically, these fees are less than $5, but they may differ depending on the amount you deposit into your account.
Are There Cheaper Ways To Put Money On Your Chime Card?
If you're looking for a more affordable way to load your Chime Card, consider these options:
- Direct Deposit: Set up direct deposit from your employer or government benefits provider to have your paycheck or benefit payments deposited directly into your Chime account at no cost.
- Bank Transfers: Transfer money to your Chime account from another major bank at no additional cost. Be aware that there may be some processing time involved.
- Instant Transfers: For immediate access to funds, you can opt for the Instant Transfer feature which will make the money available right away on your Chime Card. This service comes with a fee of 1.5%, with a minimum charge of $0.25.
- Free Cash Reloads: Some locations, such as Walgreens or Duane Reade, offer free cash reloads for your Chime Card, while others charge up to $4.95 per transaction.
Remember to always verify fees associated with loading your Chime Card at a particular retailer or method, as they can vary from one location to another.
How Long Does It Take Until Your Deposit Is Reflected On Your Chime Card?
The timeframe for deposits to be reflected on your Chime Card depends on the type of deposit you are making. It is essential to consider these timelines so that you can plan your transactions accordingly.
When you load money via a cash deposit partner, such as Walgreens, it typically takes about two hours for the funds to be reflected in your account. This time is necessary to allow the retailer to process your request. However, there are instances when the money is processed immediately.
If you are depositing a check through the Chime mobile app, the funds usually post to your account within one to three business days. However, in some cases, it may take up to five business days for the deposit to be available. Please note that deposits might experience delays, particularly during federal holidays.
When transferring funds from other banking institutions, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Chime account on your smartphone app.
- Click on the option “Move Money.”
- Choose the “Transfer” option and follow the prompts.
Transfers from other banks could take a varying amount of time, depending on the bank's processing timelines. It is recommended to review your bank's polic