Instagram is packed full of different users and businesses. If you're dealing with someone, you might want to check their username history out of curiosity, to see if the username is connected to a legitimate business, or you might want to check your own username history.
That being said, let's run through the various methods to check the history of usernames on iOS, Android, and desktop.
How To See Your Own Old Instagram Usernames: (Step-By-Step)
On iOs and Android
If you have the Instagram app or are using mobile web, viewing your profile info is similar on both Android and iOS devices.
On mobile web
- Open and log into your Instagram account on your web browser
- Click on the profile icon in the bottom right corner of the screen
- Click on the Settings icon located in the far left corner
- Click on the Privacy and Security option.
- Find the option Account Data and click View Account Data
- Locate Profile Info, and under Former usernames, click on View All
On The app
- Open and log into the Instagram app on your device
- Locate and tap on your Instagram profile pic in the bottom-right corner of the app
- Tap the hamburger menu icon (displayed as ≡) situated at the far right corner of the screen
- Tap on the Your activity option
- Tap on Account history
- Tap on Username, and now you'll be able to view your previous usernames
- Log into your Instagram profile on the web
- Locate and click the profile icon at the far top-right corner of the screen
- Click on Settings
- Click on the Privacy and Security option
- Under Account Data, click on View Account Data
- Under Profile Info, and Former usernames, click on View All
These are current methods that work to view your account name history, but given that Instagram has frequent updates, by using these methods, you might not be able to see the usernames that you created a long time ago.
Can You See Other People's Old Instagram Usernames?
On Instagram, if you're viewing a notable, verified account, it's possible to view the recent username changes and the date it was changed. So, if the account in question frequently changes its username, it's possible to see several older names. However, if the account isn't verified, it won't show the About This Account option, and username change information will be unavailable.
How To See Other People's Old Instagram Usernames: (Step-By-Step)
On iOs And On Android:
If you’re using the Instagram app or the mobile web version, viewing Profile username changes is similar on both iOS and Android devices.
- Open the Instagram app and locate the account of the user whose username history you want to check
- Tap on the hamburger menu (displayed as ≡) located in the upper right of the screen
- Tap on About this account
- In the Account Information section tap on Former Usernames
Additionally, there are a few things to note when using this method.
- It's important to note that Instagram will only display the About This Account info if profiles are verified, and are associated with social media advertisements
- Also, by using this technique, you'll only see users who have changed their usernames recently. This means that if they haven't changed their account name for years, it might say that they have never changed their account username, even though they did a long time ago.
- If you've been blocked by someone, you won't be able to see their, and username changes
- If you're using this method to detect scams, then seeing no recent username changes is a plus point, as frequent changes can be a warning sign of suspicious activity.
New features are being implemented to the web version of Instagram frequently, but at the present time, it’s not possible for users to view another account's username history, and you'll need to use the mobile app version of Instagram to do so.